Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Fortune Cookies


Over the years, the "fortunes" tucked inside fortune cookies have dramatically changed. Gone are the days when a person would crack open the crisp treat and read "Tomorrow, you will meet a true friend," or "A big change is about to take place." The modern fortune cookie is more likely to make an attempt at sounding wise with pearls like "Today is yesterday's tomorrow" and "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Once in a great while, humor will be attempted with something like "Help! I'm being held captive in a fortune cookie factory!"



I was pleasantly surprised recently when I finished eating my hibachi-grilled pea pods and shrimp. I opened my fortune cookie, joyfully chewed and swallowed (does anyone else have the "rule" that the cookie must be eaten before the fortune is read?), and began to read:


Don't put off till tomorrow...


"Oh brother," I thought. "How unoriginal can they get?"


And then I read the whole thing. 


Don't put off till tomorrow what can be enjoyed today.


Not "what can be done today" or "what should be done today" or "what is today's duty", but "what can be ENJOYED today."


Truth is...it would serve us well to step away from the ordinary and add a dash of positive expectations. What will you be enjoying today?


No comments:

Post a Comment