Tuesday, May 1, 2018

I Am a Servant


How do you declare a firm commitment to serve the Creator of the Universe and at the same time admit you don't have what it takes to be able to do it?

If you're Larry Norman, you write a song/prayer like "I Am a Servant" and close out the first side of your album In Another Land with it.





I am a servant, I am listening for my name
I sit here waiting, I've been looking at the game
That I've been playing, and I've been staying much the same
When you are lonely, you're the only one to blame

I am a servant, I am waiting for your call
I've been unfaithful, so I sit here in the hall
How can you use me when I've never given all
How can you choose me when you know I'd quickly fall

So you feed my soul and you make me grow
And you let me know you love me
And I'm worthless now, but I've made a vow
I will humbly bow before thee
O please use me, I am lonely

I am a servant getting ready for my part
There's been a change, a rearrangement in my heart
At last I'm learning, there's no returning once I start
To live's a privilege, to love is such an art
But I need your help to start
O please purify my heart, I am your servant
©1974 Glenwood Music Corp
Strawbed Music




*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord.  -Romans 7:21-25 (NLT)


No comments:

Post a Comment