Tuesday, May 8, 2018

The Evening News


During the second evening of my recent Silence & Solitude retreat, there was a particularly boisterous bird outside my cabin. (Don't believe me? Listen to this.)



That bird's enthusiasm inspired this poem:


THE EVENING NEWS


From the tops of the trees

The news is being tweeted:
"The sun is setting!
God is good!
I'm here! I'm here!
Life goes on!"

     What joy that bird finds

     Just in being a bird
     The breeze through its wingtips
     The promise of Spring to come
     On this still-snowy April evening

Like a flash, the herald flies

The next tree needs its news:
"So crisp! So clean!
Oh look at the sun!"

     What a lofty pulpit

     What an urgent gospel
     Would that I could preach so clearly

The benediction from one twig higher:

"Until tomorrow, farewell!"

     God is good



*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is..."Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!" (Luke 12:24)


No comments:

Post a Comment