Tuesday, April 24, 2018

A Noisy Silence


I got back Sunday afternoon from a weekend retreat focusing on silence and solitude. Even though it was extremely quiet, there sure was a lot of noise in my head, as witnessed by this journal entry:



4/22/18  Pacem in Terris


I've been going through several different trains of thought about this whole Silence & Solitude experience.


"No wonder people become monks."  -  This is a great existence for us introverts. Wake up whenever. Sit and stare out the window with a warm beverage in hand. Read, walk, nap...What's not to like?


"I feel like I ought to be DOING something."  -  There is a definite undercurrent of almost guilt; like I should be accomplishing some task. The idea of just "be"-ing is really hard to live out.


"Should I be hearing God's voice?"  -  I guess this is really turning the previous thought around and expecting God to be saying it. I feel like GOD should be doing something.


"What a selfish thing to do."  -  I've specifically absolved myself of all earthly responsibilities and set aside this time to just "hang out" with God. No wonder my first thought was "Cool!"


"Detox is hard work."  -  Getting rid of outer distractions is a cake walk compared to trying to shut off the constant karaoke going on in my brain.


"I need to get better at this."  -  This must not be a one-time event. At least once a year is a bare minimum. Also, getting alone with God doesn't have to involve being in a mini-cabin in the woods. It helps, but it's not a requirement.



*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...I am grateful for the vision of Pacem in Terris Hermitage Retreat Center. They have created an excellent spot for quiet reflexion and personal communion with our living Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment