Thursday, March 7, 2024

I Need a Good Lawyer

 

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father  -  Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
I John 2:1


Here's the picture John draws: It's the courtroom at the end of all time; the final judgment. Lucifer serves as the prosecuting attorney. His table is piled high with affidavits and depositions and enough physical evidence to fill a storage unit.

On the opposite side is the space reserved for the defendant. That would be me...or you, if you're inclined to put yourself in the scenario. The counsel for the defense is Yeshua Barjoseph; commonly called Jesus Christ. The table where we sit is empty. No notes. No file folders. Not even a briefcase.

Behind the judge's bench, gavel in hand, is the lord of all creation, El Shaddai, Yahweh, the Almighty.

Even with this foreboding setup, I'm pretty sure it will be the shortest trial in the history of litigation.

LUCIFER: Your honor, you must find him guilty!

JESUS: Ah, but Father, look at the defendant. He is clothed in my righteousness.

YAHWEH: Not guilty! Well done, good and faithful servant! Come and share your master's happiness.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...Maybe there actually will be a guilty verdict, but it will be found that the sentence for my crimes has already been served. "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." II Corinthians 5:21 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment