Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Acts 2:38-39 With Footnotes


Peter said to them, "Turn away from your sins, each one of you, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, so that your sins will be forgiven; and you will receive God's gift, the Holy Spirit. For God's promise was made to you and your children, and to all who are far away  -  all whom the Lord our God calls to himself."




Goin' home
I'm always goin' home inside
There's an ache in my heart that I can't bear
Take me home
Take my hand and lead me home, oh Lord
I'm so broken up inside
I need to hide in your love, in your hand
So take me home

I'm not sayin' you don't give me joy
I just need more of you
How I love you
And I want to be changed just like you
So take me home

Help me wait on you, Lord
Until the day you come
All my ways need a grave
So I can rise with you when you come
To take me home

"Goin' Home"
©1974 Latter Rain Music and Word Music, Inc.



"All my ways need a grave." That's the proper response to Peter's instruction to "Turn away from your sins each one of you, and be baptized." That's a correct interpretation of Paul's words in Romans 6:3-6...


Don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin.

Truth is...It's hard to listen to this song without feeling some of the longing with which it was written and sung.

No comments:

Post a Comment