Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Lens Through Which I See Everything - Be Thou My Vision Prosified


The original words of the hymn, Be Thou My Vision, were written in Ireland in the 6th century by one Dallan Forgaill, then translated into English by Mary E. Byrne in 1905 and versified in 1912 by Eleanor H. Hull.

And now, in 2016, the process is reversed, as I prosify the metaphor-filled text...




I declare You as the Supreme Ruler of the core of my being and ask You to not only give me sight but to embody my ability to see. Everything else in the world means nothing to me, compared to You being with me and having You as the focus of my thoughts. All day and all night, whether I'm awake or asleep, your presence sheds light on my path


I need You to replace my limited knowledge with Your limitless wisdom. Let every word I say be Your words of truth. May I be like Jesus in always being with You and You always being with me...You being my Heavenly Father, and I being Your son...You living in me to the point of the two of us being one


If I was a soldier, Lord, you would be my defensive vest, my offensive weapon, my body's protection, and indeed, my strength to fight the fight. My soul finds shelter in You, like a castle's tower. You raise me up and give me strength


I pay no attention to worldly wealth or earthly recognition. Each day of my life, I look forward to You as my eternal inheritance. You, and You alone, are number one in my heart and the Supreme Ruler of Heaven. You are what I treasure more than anything. 


And when it's all over...when the battles of life are done being fought...then, my King and light and warmth...then I trust You will open all the joys of Heaven to me! Whatever happens, Lord Jesus Christ, You will always be my Ruler and the lens through which I see absolutely everything.


*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...It's so easy to let the temporary sights of Planet Earth steal my attention away from the things that are lasting.




Thanks to Be Thou My Vision.com for some historical insight.


No comments:

Post a Comment