Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Following the Leader


What kind of courage would it have taken for the original disciples to drop what they were doing and follow Jesus wherever he went? I must have been thinking such things on Christmas Eve of 2002 when I read Mark 1:16-20 and wrote what follows.


As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.
 
When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.

Am I a great, courageous man? No. I'm no one special. I'm just following someone who is great - someone more special than the whole world. In fact, one who makes the world whole - and made the whole world!

Truth is...it's not about the follower; it's about who is being followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment