Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Prosifying "Amazing Grace"


Amazing Grace, written by ex slave trader, John Newton, has been sung in churches, at funerals, and on movie soundtracks...performed by choirs, folk singers, and bagpipes...but perhaps we could use the help of some prosifying (turning poetry into prose) to remind us of what the pretty melody and rhythmic lyric are saying.



Just the sound of the word "grace" is sweetly amazing to me, because it is the free, unmerited goodness of God's grace that saved me, even though I was one of the world's most wretched individuals. Grace has thoroughly changed me: found me when I was lost; gave me insight and knowledge when I was blindly clueless.


It was God's grace that taught me to fear God's wrath, but it was that same grace that soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread. From the very first moment I believed, grace has been a precious treasure.

I've been through many things in my life: danger, hard work, temptations meant to entrap me, etc. God has been gracious enough to get me through it all so far, and He'll keep on guiding me until I reach my heavenly home.

The Bible assures me the Lord will cause all things to work together for good; that He will protect me and provide for me as long as I'm alive.

And when I stop living - when my body gives up and my heart gives out - I will forever experience a life of joy and peace in the very presence of God!

And I MEAN forever! We will have been there ten thousand years, shining like the stars in the heavens, and it will be like we had just arrived.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment