Thursday, February 9, 2023

Good Intentions

 

I am writing this on the 23rd of January, 2023. The devotional book I began reading today was purchased in late April of 2022.

That should give you an idea about why I don't make New Year's resolutions. I have wonderful intentions of doing all kinds of wonderful things, but my superpower of procrastination can overwhelm every good intention I've ever had and pave a perfectly good highway to you-know-where.



In the face of that depression-inducing truth, I have no right to be hopeful as I begin my journey through THE IMITATION OF CHRIST: Classic Devotions in Today's Language, by Thomas à Kempis (Compiled and Edited by James N. Watkins).

And yet, I feel my spirit start to stir when I read words like...

It is futile to strive for earthly things and to trust in riches that will perish. It is futile to desire honors and lift up ourselves. It is futile to desire a long life and to care little for a good life. It is futile to concentrate on the here and now and not look forward to the things which are eternal. It is futile to love temporary things and not strive toward eternal joy.

Truth is...What better resolution could I have than what is found in Ephesians 5:1-2? "Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ."


No comments:

Post a Comment