Thursday, August 6, 2026

What the Old Guys in the Front Row Knew


Jesus answered, “Truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate the loaves and were filled.
John 6:26


In my growing-up years, I spent Sunday mornings in the second pew from the front, seated behind a row of old, big-eared deacons who were waiting to serve communion and take up the offering. I sang the hymns, listened to the sermons, and never passed notes or whispered to my friends.

"Second Pew Sunday"


When I became a teenager, I started wishing for something more than ancient songs and sitting quietly. I started looking for a faith that expressed itself in more exciting ways. And I soon found a group of friends who wanted the same.

It started with the attitude of "Jesus loves us and died for us. Isn't that worth getting excited about?" It didn't take long, though, before excitement alone wasn't enough. We started evaluating musical skills and speaking abilities to determine where to be involved.

One day, it hit me. Those old guys on the front row didn't need the latest musical style or the hippest graphics to keep them interested in Jesus. They faithfully served for decades because the gospel is true and God deserves to be honored.

To bring it back to John 6, they weren't looking for a free meal, they were sitting at the feet of The Teacher.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...It is worth considering whether I am seeking God, or seeking blessings from God.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment