Tuesday, July 5, 2016

I Learned the Truth at Seventeen


Janis Ian wrote the song, "At Seventeen", when she was 22...still relatively young, but apparently wise enough to be able to comment on society's standards of beauty, the cruelty of adolescents, and whether physical beauty is all it's cracked up to be in the long run.

It became a huge hit in the late summer of 1975, just as I was turning 18 and trying to figure out what I should be doing with my life. I remember buying the album "At Seventeen" was on, looking at the cover photo, and thinking, "Yeah, she's kinda cute now, but I can see that she probably WAS an "ugly duckling girl."




To those of us who knew the pain
Of valentines that never came
And those whose names were never called
When choosing sides for basketball

It was long ago and far away
The world was younger than today
When dreams were all they gave for free
To ugly duckling girls like me



Truth is...things haven't changed all that much from 1975. We still struggle to feel good about ourselves when those around us don't. Well...keep your chin up. It's not about what THEY say, it's about what your creator says...and he thinks you're to die for.


No comments:

Post a Comment