Tuesday, January 5, 2016

What Are You Looking Forward To This Year?


It was a simple enough question.

I was beginning a seven-week stint as guest teacher of the Senior High Sunday School class at my church, and as a way to break the ice and give me an idea of what kind of students I was going to be with for the next month-and-a-half, I asked them, "What are you looking forward to this coming year?"


It really was a simple question...and I pretty much got simple answers:


"My birthday next month." (When you'll be turning how old?) "16."


"I dunno." (Yes you do.) "Getting my driver's license, I guess."


"Graduating."


And then, the one student in the group with Down Syndrome gave her answer. Because of her muddy speech, I couldn't really understand what she said, but what she lacked in clarity, she more than compensated for with enthusiasm. SOMEthing was going to happen in this young person's coming calendar year and she was REALLY looking forward to it with great anticipation!




When a guy like me gets to be the age I'm getting to be, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot left to look forward to. Instead of "the best is yet to come", it's more like "those were the days, my friend."


And yet, my 9-month contract position comes to an end in April. And yet, I am in the midst of interviews for a possible full-time gig with the company. And yet, my grandkids are getting old enough to really start forming memories of life-with-Grandpa. And yet, this year will be full of firsts...the first time I've ever been this old, with this kind of experience and knowledge, with these kinds of friends, with this particular motivation, with this long of a marriage relationship backing me up.


Truth is...I've got a lot to look forward to. And so do you. And may we all have a happy new year.


No comments:

Post a Comment