Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Semi-archeological Find


Every so often, I need to clean out my billfold. (This is a noteworthy event, because I generally don't have any bills [dollar bills, at least] to fold, so I'm free to stick receipts and shopping lists and who-knows-what-else in there.)


During my most recent attempt at billfold organization, I found a note I had written on the back of an offering envelope from my home church. It was a quote from the sermon preached there during my last visit. (I'm not sure if the preacher was quoting someone else, but for now I can only assume it was original with him, so I give credit and thanks to Greg Comp.)

Herewith, the statement that had grabbed my attention and moved my pencil:

When Jesus asked "Who do you say I am," he wasn't concerned with his image or popularity. He was concerned about his disciples.

It's an important point.

Jesus never needed to fish for compliments or ask for validation of his ego. He knew exactly who he was, where he was from, and why he came. His concern and deepest desire was for those whom he loved to know those things as well, and with that knowledge, enter into a saving relationship with his father.

Truth is...what experts and critics say about Jesus is still absolutely unimportant compared to who you say he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment