Tuesday, October 14, 2014

What I Learned from a Gay Bible Professor


This space has touched on the subject of homosexuality before, and it's not something I feel led to dwell on, but I recently read a post by Jonathan Carone that gives a different perspective along with an encouragement to let the convictions of at least one gay man make a difference in our own struggles...whether or not they have anything to do with sexual preferences.



Here's just a taste:
Dr. Yuan’s big idea is that God doesn’t call us to be gay or straight. Instead, he calls us to be holy because he is holy. This concept rules every decision he makes....Dr. Yuan spoke on how we have the choice to pursue holiness or to pursue our feelings. Those two things aren’t always mutually exclusive, but when one contradicts the other, which one will we go after?

Admittedly, I’m ruled by my feelings all too often. I don’t feel like working out so I don’t take care of my body. I don’t feel like putting myself in an awkward situation so I don’t seek forgiveness when I screw up. I don’t feel like doing something I need to do so I do what I want to do.

Dr. Yuan’s choice was a little bigger than whether or not to watch The Newsroom on an off-shore streaming site. Instead, his was to pursue a monogamous gay relationship or to pursue God and his holiness.


For the complete article, click here.

Truth is...I do not consider, brethren, that I have captured and made it my own [yet]; but one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the [supreme and heavenly] prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward. (Philippians 3:13-14 Amplified Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment