Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I'm More Than Alright - A Prose Hymn


While the story behind the Horatio Spafford/Philip Bliss hymn, It Is Well With My Soul, is moving and adds incalculable depth to the lyric (you can read it here), it is the possibility of those words being lived out in my life that moves and inspires.

However, there is a risk, as with all songs, that the meaning of the words could get lost in the poetry and melody. So, I offer here a prosifying (turning into prose) of this hopeful hymn.



Whatever is going on in my life, whether I'm full of peace or drowning in sorrow, I have learned to say, "In my heart of hearts, I know that I'm more than alright."

Satan himself can hit me with his best shot, and I can be going through a truckload of trouble, but my emotions and sense of self-worth are going to be under the control of this one thing I know for sure: Christ knows how helpless I am and has chosen to spill his blood in order to save my soul.


This really is the thought that blows my mind and fills my heart: every single part of every wrong thing I've ever done or ever will do has been crucified with Christ. I am utterly and eternally free from guilt. Praise God!


So, God, all that's left for me to ask for is that you will send Jesus back soon, and that I'll be able to actually see all the things I'm looking forward to: the sky opening up, the last trumpet blasting forth, and Jesus himself setting foot once again on Planet Earth. It will be monumental and cataclysmic and unlike anything I've ever experienced, but even so...I am absolutely more than alright with that.



*  *  *  *  *  *  *
Truth is...sometimes the troubles of life encourage me to echo the words of John: "Even so, come, Lord Jesus."
   

No comments:

Post a Comment