Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Taking a Knee


According to every sports-related movie I've ever seen  -  and when it comes to sports, watching movies is the only experience I have to go on  -  to "take a knee" means to gather around the coach and listen up because he's about to lay some important words on you.

Of course, for the past several weeks, the idea of football players taking a knee carries a totally different meaning.


For those on one side, it is a form of silent protest against the inequality and injustice that exists within the borders of "the land of the free and the home of the brave". For those on another side, it is a disgusting show of disrespect for those who have fought and died for the star-spangled banner that is our nation's flag.




For me, taking a knee is something completely different.



  • It is the first step in retrieving one of Beloved's earrings from under the bedroom dresser.
  • It is a necessary posture to get eye-to-eye with my grandchildren; either to let them know I love them or to let them climb onto my back.
  • It is a sign of humility before the almighty Creator God.


If I were to kneel in protest of anything it would also be completely different.



  • I would kneel to protest my lack of kneeling to pray.
  • I would bend my knee to protest the bending of my will toward the things of this world instead of the things of God.
  • I would collapse in grief to protest the sickness of human hearts and the greatness of my own selfishness, greed, and gluttony.
  • I would lay spread eagle on the ground in utter amazement at the One who sacrificed all so I could be free from sin's stranglehold.


Truth is...my life could do with a little more of that kind of humility, amazement, and life-changing grief.


No comments:

Post a Comment