Thursday, April 11, 2024

What's Wrong With This Picture?

 

Last week (Click Here), I quoted quite a bit from Francis Chan's book, Letters to the Church. It was from a chapter contrasting the closeness and camaraderie involved in being a gang member to how an awful lot of people (and I do mean awful) think about being a church member as if it were a gym membership.

Here's last week's closing thought:

Truth is...Don't you long at least a little bit for that sense of belonging and mutual commitment to each other? Isn't there something within each of us that can't be satisfied by GOING to church instead of BEING THE CHURCH?

Not two days after having written that post, a guy I follow on The-Social-Networking-Site-Formerly-Known-As-Twitter posted the following:


A well-motivated attempt to give God some glory, to be sure, but great googily-moogily! Not only is it acceptable/normal to categorize my Christian experience as "going to church," but I can now be perfectly content to merely watch church?

There is no need for me to be a participant, apparently. I am an observer. An audience member. A consumer of content.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...may it never be.


No comments:

Post a Comment