Thursday, August 29, 2024

Who's the Boss?

 

[Jesus] taught as one who had authority,
and not as their teachers of the law.
Matthew 7:29 (NIV)

Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."
Matthew 28:18 (NIV)

Jesus teaching with authority


I used to say, "God said it. I believe it. That settles it," but I don't say that anymore.

Not that God didn't say it or that I don't believe it or that it isn't settled. . .it's just that my believing it or not is of no importance whatsoever. If Jesus said it, I may have questions about how to apply it in a particular situation, but my belief about it has zero effect on its truthfulness.

No matter what my response to him is, Jesus has all authority and is lord of all.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...It's kind of amazing that even though Jesus has every right to rule with an iron fist, he chooses to persuade and call; to open the door and invite.

For corroboration, see an earlier post, "Softly and Tenderly".


No comments:

Post a Comment