Thursday, July 11, 2024

Hammer Time, or, Dear God, Make Me What You Want Me to Be

 

At this point in history, Carl Sandburg is probably most well-known for calling Chicago the City of the Big Shoulders; "Hog Butcher for the World, Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat, Player with Railroads and the Nation's Freight Handler."

But I recently learned about another poem of his titled "Prayers of Steel." It's as if steel is lifting its voice to Yahweh, and it resonates with my decidedly non-metallic soul.

Working steel on an anvil

Lay me on an anvil, O God.
Beat me and hammer me into a crowbar.
Let me pry loose old walls.
Let me lift and loosen old foundations.  

Lay me on an anvil, O God.
Beat me and hammer me into a steel spike.
Drive me into the girders that hold a skyscraper together.
Take red-hot rivets and fasten me into the central girders.
Let me be the great nail holding a skyscraper through blue nights into white stars.


This seems to echo Adelaide Potter in the hymn, "Have Thine Own Way, Lord":

Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Thou art the potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after thy will,
while I am waiting, yielded and still.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...Sandburg's words are grittier and a more realistic image of what it can be like to be fashioned into an effective disciple of Jesus. God's refining work on my life won't always be easy or painless, but the results will be a life of strength and usefulness.


No comments:

Post a Comment