Thursday, May 30, 2024

Confession: I Am Guilty of Bareleveling

 

Just when I thought I had a handle on most of the major problems in my life, John Koenig came along and created a new word for an old issue.

From page 74 of The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows:

bareleveling  -  v. intr. trying to improve yourself without anyone else knowing about it, afraid that they'll think it's silly or grandiose or unnecessary, or that they'll end up calling too much attention to your efforts, transforming a casual tweak into a flashy rebranding campaign. (From the Armenian barelavvel, to become better. Pronounced "bair-lev-uhl-ing.")

It's Getting Better

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person in the room who can relate. I mean, if I don't TELL anyone I'm trying to lose weight, I won't be hit with any shaming or accusatory glares when I order a slice of cheesecake. If I keep my pet project a secret, I don't have to feel like I'm disappointing anyone when I don't complete it.

And now you know why the term "accountability partner" is so important.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...Even though the definition of bareleveling makes me think of the Beatles singing "I've got to admit, it's getting better," there's a different song on Sgt. Pepper that expresses a deeper truth: "I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends."


No comments:

Post a Comment