Thursday, December 8, 2022

Who Peter Says I Am

 

Our Wednesday night Bible study recently finished its journey through 1st Peter. Our M.O. is to read through a passage and make note of characteristics of God, words or ideas that are repeated or unique, and any other pattern or concept that makes an impression.

For some reason, I started making a list of what Peter said about his readers. It ended up telling me a lot about myself.



I am:

God's elect, chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:1-2)

Born anew into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade (1 Peter 1:3-4)

Shielded by God’s power (1 Peter 1:5)

In possession of a faith that has been proven to be genuine (1 Peter 1:7)

A lover of Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:8)

Filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy (1 Peter 1:8)

Receiving the end result of my faith, the salvation of my soul (1 Peter 1:9)

Redeemed with the precious blood of Christ from the empty way of life handed down to me from my ancestors (1 Peter 1:18-19)

Born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God (1 Peter 1:23)

One who has tasted that the Lord is good (1 Peter 2:3)

Being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood (1 Peter 2:5)

Part of a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that I may declare the praises of him who called me out of darkness into his wonderful light (1 Peter 2:9)

A receiver of mercy (1 Peter 2:10)

A foreigner and an exile (1 Peter 2:11)

Called to repay evil with blessing so that [I] may inherit a blessing (1 Peter 3:9)

Hopeful (1 Peter 3:15)

A participant in the sufferings of Christ, so that [I] may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. (1 Peter 4:13)

Called by the God of all grace to his eternal glory in Christ (1 Peter 5:10)

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...while I am all these things, it is not because of anything I've done, but because of continuing to be soaked with Yahweh's overwhelming grace and love.



No comments:

Post a Comment