Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Keith Green Isn't Feeling Like Himself


Here we are at the seventh song on Keith Green's first album (For Him Who Has Ears to Hear), and Keith is speaking on behalf of Lucifer.

I kid you not.


Lucifer, Satan, Fallen Angel

Instead of singing, "Hey, people, Biblical truth is still Biblical truth! Satan is not a fairy tale!", Green puts on the persona of the chief fallen angel and proudly sings "No One Believes in Me Anymore (Satan's Boast)".


Oh, my job keeps getting easier
As time keeps slippin' away
I can imitate the brightest light
And make the night look just like day
I put some truth in every lie
To tickle itching ears
You know, I'm drawing people just like flies
'Cause they like what they hear
I'm gaining power by the hour
They're falling by the score
You know it's getting very simple now
Since no one believes in me anymore!

Oh, heaven's just a state of mind
My books read on your shelf
Or have you heard that God is dead?
I made that one up myself
They're dabbling with magic spells
They get their fortunes read
You know, they heard the truth
But turned away
And then followed me instead
I used to have to sneak around
But now they just open their doors
No one's watching for my tricks
Since no one believes in me anymore!

Everyone likes a winner
With my help, you're guaranteed to win
Hey man, you ain't no sinner!
No, you've got the truth within
And as your life slips by you believe the lie
That you did it on your own
But don't worry
I'll be there to help you share
Our dark eternal home
Our dark eternal home!

Oh, my job keeps getting easier
As day slips into day
The magazines, the newspapers
Print every word I say
This world is just my spinning top
It's all like child's play
You know, I dream that it will never stop
But I know it's not that way
Still, my work goes on and on
Always stronger than before
I'm gonna make it dark before the dawn
Since no one believes in me anymore!

Well, I used to have to sneak around
But now they just open their doors
You know, no one's watching for my tricks
Since no one believes in me anymore!
Well, I'm gaining power by the hour,
They're falling by the score,
You know, it's getting very easy now
Since no one believes in me anymore!
No one believes in me anymore!
No one BELIEVES in me anymore!
©1977 April Music



Truth is...It wouldn't be fair to expect a song to take the place of C. S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters in just three minutes and twenty seconds, but this could certainly be Side One, Song One of an album full of music inspired by that classic book.

No comments:

Post a Comment