Tuesday, July 2, 2019

I Can't Believe It!


Sometimes, even song lyrics that are meant to express spiritual truth cannot be taken for their literal meaning.

Case in point: Keith Green's second song on For Him Who Has Ears to Hear, "I Can't Believe It!" It's meant to be a confession of new-found faith, much like Randy Stonehill's "First Prayer," but it's titled "I CAN'T Believe It!" Whaaaaat?


There is nothing new
I could give to you
Just a life that's torn
Waiting to be born

Rivers overflow
Friends may come and go
But you've been by my side
With every tear I've cried

Oh, I can't believe that You'd give everything for me
I can't believe it no, I can't believe it no, no
I know You've never lied and so it's just my foolish pride
That won't receive it yeah
It's so hard to receive it in my heart and make the start with You

Help me, help me now
I just don't know how
You know, I've been so alone
Please melt this heart of stone

Lah, lah, lah, lah

Oh, I can't believe that You'd give everything for me
I can't believe it no, I can't believe it no, no
I know You've never lied and so I'm giving up my pride
So I can receive it yeah
I just want to receive it in my heart and make the start with You
©1977 April Music



Truth is...the overwhelming, neverending graciousness of God really is "unbelievable"...even in the midst of believing it.

1 comment:

  1. Love this song and enjoyed the commentary..
    Had not really thought about it that way, maybe as I was a child when I received Jesus, I could see how it might be harder to accept it as a young adult.

    ReplyDelete