Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Song for Sarah / Ditty for Debbie


"Song for Sarah" holds a special place in my heart. It's the third song on the second side of Randy Stonehill's classic "Jesus Music" album, Welcome to Paradise, but it was also part of my wedding vows (with "Sarah" replaced by "Debbie").



It's a practically perfect invitation to a love commitment, along with a gospel message of the greatest love of all.


Sarah, can I love you?
Will you open up the door?
I know you've heard that misused word
a lot of times before
But I think that you need someone
who can firmly take your hand
And love you in a way
that you can really understand

Sarah, will you love me?
You've got so much there to give
We've waited for so long
to change the lonely way we live
And I see the fragile lady
that you hide behind your eyes
And I want so much to reach you
when I hear those distant cries

Sarah, Someone loves you
in a way I never could
He laid His life before you
on a cross made out of wood
Oh and in His hour of anguish
our dreams were given birth
I hope you finally realize
how much your love is worth

© 1976 King of Hearts Publishing




*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...while this is a quiet, sweet song, it is also personally the source of laughter. You see, our wedding day was particularly hot and humid and the church building in which we were wed had no air conditioning. While I was singing this song to my bride, a drop of sweat trickled down my nose and Debbie tenderly reached up and wiped it away. The near-sighted ladies in the crowd thought she was wiping away a tear I had shed and totally lost it!


No comments:

Post a Comment