Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Just a Silly Little Prayer


Sometimes an answered prayer can make a person laugh. It did ME, at least.

I was attempting to put clear plastic up on the window in one of the downstairs bedrooms. (For those who don't live in a cold climate, this is an insulating maneuver, designed to decrease drafts and lower one's heating bill.) I had cut the plastic film to the correct size, but I needed to unfold it...it was doubled over on itself, and I needed to get it opened to its single thickness.


I spent at least 10 minutes rubbing my fingers together along the edge of that plastic...trying to get it to let go of itself and separate. I wet my fingers. I warmed the plastic. I bent, folded, and practically mutilated it.

Nothing.

I finally looked up and said, "Lord, this seems like something really silly to pray about, but I am so frustrated and I just can't get this unfolded. Please help me."

I looked down at the two corners that had been so persistent at staying together and saw them droop away from each other like wilted lettuce or peeling paint.

That's when I laughed, and I kind of think Yahweh did, too.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him! (Luke 11:11-13 NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment