Tuesday, July 3, 2018

666


If you're in the mood for a banjo-tinged lament full of end-times imagery, then you're ready for the third song on the second side of Larry Norman's In Another Land.




In the midst of the war he offered us peace
He came like a lover from out of the east
With the face of an angel and the heart of a beast
His intentions were six sixty six

He walked up to the temple with gold in his hand
And he bought off the priests and propositioned the land
And the world was his harlot and laid in the sand
While the band played six sixty six

We served at his table and slept on the floor
But he starved us and beat us and nailed us to the door
Well I'm ready to die, I can't take any more
And I'm sick of his lies and his tricks

He told us he loved us, but that was a lie
There was blood in his pockets and death in his eyes
Well my number is up, and I'm willing to die
If the band will play six
If the band will play six sixty
If the band will play six sixty six
©1973 Glenwood Music Corp. Strawbed Music





Truth is...for me, this song doesn't express any real meaning as much as it evokes a feeling. I listen to it and, like the apostle John, start longing for that place Jesus went to prepare for us (John 14:1-3). "Amen. Come, Lord Jesus." (Revelation 22:20)




No comments:

Post a Comment