Tuesday, October 20, 2015

What You See is What You Get - "Just As I Am" Prosified


In 1835, while in the midst of feelings of worthlessness, Charlotte Elliot wrote the words that soon became the hymn, Just As I Am. She certainly had no idea her personal outpouring of submission and surrender to God would become the soundtrack for thousands of people coming to Christ in churches and Billy Graham evangelistic meetings around the globe.




While you can read the poetry at any number of places online, perhaps this prosification will lead to a deeper consideration of the Truth in the Art.


Dear Jesus, what You see is what you get, but I'm coming to You...without a single request except that You died for me and You desire me.


I'm not going to wait a moment longer to come to You, because You're the only one who can make my dirty, sinful soul clean again. 


And it's not like I've got my act all together. I'm coming to You unsure of myself; full of doubts and conflicts. I'm fighting with, and fearful of, not only other people, but even myself...and yet...I come to You.


And You've promised to accept me with open arms: forgiving my sins and freeing me from Sin...what a relief to come to you and be welcomed.


That kind of love is unheard of, and has broken down every wall that separates me from You. I want to belong to You, and You alone. What You see is what You get, but I'm coming to You...the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.


Truth is...I should probably recite this every morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment