Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Bible Roulette


I don't know if you've ever played this game before. It goes something like this. You feel the need to get a message from God, so you close your eyes, flip open a Bible, put your finger on a page and read whatever verse you land on. Some folks are so gee-golly-willickers about their faith, they think God will guide this partially-random process so it results in deep wisdom and guidance.



Granted, there is deep wisdom on practically every page of your friendly neighborhood Bible, so you're bound to land upon something fairly useful...but to think it will be God's personal message for your particular situation?


Seriously?


"Why are you talking about this?' you ask.


I happen to be staring at a mostly-blank computer screen, wondering what to concoct as a post for this blog.


Let's see here...close my eyes...flip open a Bible...point and read.


COLOSSIANS 4:3-4

And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. (NIV)

Hmmm. I could ask for worse things.


Truth is...maybe you could do some praying, and maybe next week will be better.


No comments:

Post a Comment