Tuesday, April 28, 2015

This Should Have Been Obvious


I've never been accused of being the sharpest pencil in the box, but it really shouldn't have taken six and a half months and the second daily reading in Why Did I Lose My Job If God Loves Me? for me to come to this particular realization.



Jumping off of James 1:2-4 ("Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."), author Rick J. Pritikin writes:



I'm often asked what I consider to be the toughest part of the career transition journey. I usually reply with "How much time do you have?" But the truthful answer for me is that the toughest part of the journey has been learning more about myself than I was ready to accept. That seems to be a universal response. Most of us would be just fine without knowing how much fear we really harbor within ourselves, how low our self-esteem really is, or how much our previous job, with all its perks, formulated our net worth as a person.

In the rest of the day's reading, there are two thoughts that jump off the page for me:

1) "I know that when a door closes, I'm not being punished, but protected."


This relates to what has been my prayer from the start: "Only open the door you want me to go through, Lord."


2) "...embrace the toughest part of the journey so that you may experience the best part of life now, as well as when he provides that new career opportunity."


Truth is...this is a new revelation for me. I need to remember that this time of joblessness is not a period of having my life put on hold until the next thing comes along. No. This is part of my life, too! I need to live it!


No comments:

Post a Comment