Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Going Through the Motions


During Jesus' conversation with the Samaritan woman, he talks about worshiping God "in spirit and in truth." According to a journal entry from Saturday, December 14, 2002, my reaction to this Scripture was the following prayer...


Lord, I pray that this Sunday, I will be worshiping You - and leading others in worshiping You - through the power of the Holy Spirit. Send Him with power and peace and joy and "blow the roof off the joint!"

That sounds so purposeful and dedicated, right? Now read the next journal entry, from Tuesday, December 17th...



So, did the roof get blown off the joint? Probably not; though some people may have thought so because they really liked the bells or the sax. Probably not; though I must admit that I had forgotten all about the above prayer until I read it again just now and so my head and my heart weren't really geared toward the Spirit.

I was going through the motions, wasn't I? I remember raising my hand in praise, but I wonder if I would have done that if I had been in the congregation instead of in front of it?



Truth is...I want to be a dynamic man of God, but even on my best days, I'm just kind of leaning in that direction. I am a work in progress...and I'm thinking that you probably are, too.


1 comment:

  1. Yep. But on our "best days" when we seem like we are only leaning in, I think God knows we are trying. We always have His attention, so performance level isn't a factor. But honoring the fact that I always have His attention is! Like you said, we are all works in progress, but so long as we don't shut down the work site, we're good.

    ReplyDelete