Tuesday, April 2, 2013

How Deep The Father's Love For Us


Had a great Good Friday service at my church, the most moving piece of which (for me) was singing what sounds like an old Celtic hymn, but is, in reality, a relatively recent song (1995) by Stuart Townend, How Deep The Father's Love For Us. May these words, with additional lyrics by Dave Burkum, feed your spirit as they fed mine.



How deep the Father's love for us; how vast beyond all measure

That He should give His only Son to make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss; the Father's love in Christ displayed
As wounds which mar the Chosen One bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders

Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life; I know that it is finished

Too often I've forsaken Him; too many times to measure

But He has not forsaken me; His love endures forever
When I to Him my sins confess; my just and faithful Savior
Will cleanse me from unrighteousness; forgives my sin and failure

My God, my God, I lift my voice believing You will hear me

Though I have sinned and turned away, by grace, You still draw near me
No heights, no depths, no powers, no sword could ever separate me
From love that is in Christ my Lord; redeeming love that saves me

And I will yet declare Your praise among the congregation

Your saving grace will be the song of every generation
You bore the cross and scorned its shame; You fought the fight and won it
The Crucified has conquered death, "Our faithful God has done it!"

I will not boast in anything; no gifts, no power, no wisdom

But I will boast in Jesus Christ; His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart: His wounds have paid my ransom

For those who are in Christ the Lord, there is no condemnation

Our God is faithful to His Word; we'll never be forsaken

Our God is faithful to His Word; we'll never be forsaken



*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Truth is...I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39; NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment